1971 Camaro SS (affectionately called the blue meanie)

DavieJ75

Registered
Registered
I posted some pics of my new standard modern lathe, in the one pic my Camaro is in the back ground and I got some interest in the car.
I had been looking for a 71 to 73 since I was a kid. I have had several second gens, a 79, 81. This one is the keeper. Added bonus the wife loves this car and has forbidden me from selling it.
I bout the car in 2010. The owner built it in 2006. I have done a fair amount of work to it, aswell.
1971 Camaro, SS clone. Blue with white racing stripes. Black interior. Van Nuys Plant.
6.6l 1980 truck engine, 400 SBC bored 30 over giving 406ci. 10:1 compression, which makes it pricy to drive.
Demon 650 carb ( not a fan, I have rebuilt it several times over the years and I have to adjust it a lot)
Redid the entire fuel system as the one originally was to small. All An fittings on the flex lines and hard lines under the car from the fuel tank.
Project for one of these winters is a fuel injection system I have pieced together.
Comp cams solid tappet cam shaft ( I can get some numbers if people are interested, very loby, if loby is a word.) Not sure why I originally wrote crane cams, maybe stuck in my mind after they got bought by comp.
Dart Iron eagle heads.
Edelbrock single plane intake.
MSD box and distributor with rev limit.
Th400 transmission with 3500 stall converter.
10 inch rear end with what I think are 4;10 gears.
CAMARO 71 BLUE 1.JPGCAMARO 71 BLUE 2.JPGCAMARO 71 BLUE 3.JPG

Last edited:
Nice car! Definitely a keeper.
Martin

Solid flat tapper, or roller? Nice car.

Solid flat tapper, or roller? Nice car.
solid flat tappet. When its nice out I will adjust the lash again, pretty much every year. Should have spent the extra money on roller. Now any change of that size will have to wait a couple years. I am actually working on the idea of going with an LS build but that's more of a pipe dream. I have changed a lot since buying the car and what I won't to do with it has changed. I guess I am truly getting older.

VERY NICE! I remember the Van Nuys plant. I work 2 miles from it now.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Make sure you monitor the lash as you know the cam blanks are not as good as they used to be, and frequently go flat. EDM lifters help, IIRC the P55 cam core was the better choice since OEM stopped using flat tappets.

Been a black 55 Chevy running around the beach roads down here . What a beauty . :cool:

Make sure you monitor the lash as you know the cam blanks are not as good as they used to be, and frequently go flat. EDM lifters help, IIRC the P55 cam core was the better choice since OEM stopped using flat tappets.
It’s one of those what have I done regrets, it wasn’t a huge amount of money to go roller at the time, just kind of had budget brain. I usually adjust them each may when it’s nicer out.

It's working so no problem, if your lash opens up on any lobe, check it early. Cutting open oil filters may help catch something in progress before it trashes everything. I'm sure you know if a lobe goes, it's a complete teardown to flush all passages. I have a Dart SHP block 406 also, but solid roller.

Back