1957 Logan lathe gear defect - Keep or Replace..?

Mr Mike

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So on my Logan lathe, model 1875 built in 1957 - I am currently restoring It and found a cool looking banjo gear that has an offset ( mold shifted i'm guessing ) my concern is that theres is allot of metal ( weight ) in one area and less metal at the other side, Should I get a replacement..? or is this trivial.. Also the teeth at the bottom have virtually no metal backing for support. will this weight offset cause vibration - the gear has no marks at all so I doubt its ever been used.

What say you..! keep or replace..?

I'm guessing I cant get it replaced under warranty :) Logan has it in stock $150.00 - Thanks Mike.

OffSet64ToothGear.jpg
OffSet64ToothGeararrow.jpg

I would keep and use it.

It looks like it is unlikely to spin fast enough for it to have much of a problem with balance. That the wall is a little thinner on one side, that also is unlikely to fail during use, short of smacking it there with a BFH.

It is hard to believe that the Logan Quality Control would pass something like that in 1957. However, just guessing it could have something to do with balancing a gear train. I am not Logan knowlegeble and hope someone that is will be along soon. With respect to replacement if it isn't being used currently, your plans for future use should help with that decision. Being a tightwad I would not replace it until the need ariseses.

I would keep and use it.

It looks like it is unlikely to spin fast enough for it to have much of a problem with balance. That the wall is a little thinner on one side, that also is unlikely to fail during use, short of smacking it there with a BFH.

Hi dave_r_1, About 600 RPM max - I would like to keep it because it adds character to the lathe, But not if it will cause issue. Thanks.

It is hard to believe that the Logan Quality Control would pass something like that in 1957. However, just guessing it could have something to do with balancing a gear train. I am not Logan knowlegeble and hope someone that is will be along soon. With respect to replacement if it isn't being used currently, your plans for future use should help with that decision. Being a tightwad I would not replace it until the need ariseses.

Hello rock_breaker, Your one of those wise people, I like your stab in the dark about gear train balancing.. thanks for looking, Mike.

If it's been in use since 1957, it's probably OK. It's also easy to change if you choose to do so later. I'd keep it.

I would contact Logan and ask their opinion. You have a good pic to send them - can't hurt, right?

If it's been in use since 1957, it's probably OK. It's also easy to change if you choose to do so later. I'd keep it.

Why hello Nogoingback, Thanks for dropping in, and input.. Mike.

I would contact Logan and ask their opinion. You have a good pic to send them - can't hurt, right?

I like your thinking - during this restoration I've bugged them a bit.. I've always called, so email would be perfect for this. interestingly enough, they still Make/Manufacture parts for lathes, I just ordered new spindle bearings, that cannot be found at major bearing outlets like SKF or Timken - Email it is.. Thanks mike.

I guess another way of looking at this that you don't need to make a decision now. After you get the machine running,
try running with and without the gear. If you detect vibration that you find objectionable, you can change the gear then. If not , you are aren't out 150 bucks.

Just curious - is the central hole centered within the circumference of the rim?

Back