1951 Atlas Drill Press

EarlH

Registered
Registered
I have a nice little Atlas Drill press from 1951. I replaced the bearings and gave it a fresh coat of paint. The wiring to the switch and the power cord disintegrated during the painting process. Does anyone on this list know anything about the wiring for an Atlas "Super Power" 1/3 hp motor? There are three terminals labeled 1,2 & 3. I am looking for the internal motor connections to those terminals.

Thanks,
Earl

Last edited by a moderator:
The Drill Press was disassembled about a year ago by my son. He was "helping me out." :D I just got around to painting it and putting it back together. The motor had been removed from the press so the wires had been disconnected. Resistance checks don't do much good. Each terminal to terminal resistance shows zero ohms. (ok a few ohms but all read the same). I may have to disassemble the motor to figure out but I really don't want to disturb it. When I got it, I plugged it in and the motor ran fine. When I unplugged it, the motor seemed to spin for a very long time. (no belt) I plugged it back in, let it get to speed and unplugged it again. The motor spun for a minute and seventeen seconds before it stopped!!!
My assumptions are that one terminal is common, one is run, and the other is to the start switch on the armature. The question is which one is which.

I can post some pictures as soon as I get my camera back from my daughter. Hers broke and she commandeered mine to take pictures of the grand daughter's first birthday coming up tomorrow.

Thanks,

I do have those PDF's from OWM. They are a great resource for the old stuff. My press is the benchtop model 1010 I believe. The table is in remarkable shape - only a couple of small "accidents." Even the quill return spring is intact. I guess that I will take the motor apart to figure out the wiring. I will be happy to quit using my mill as a drill press.

Back