1942 War Production Board Bulletin. Is It An Urban Legend?

Lee in Texas

Registered
Registered
The one that many have heard of, but no one has seen. It contained info on getting better performance from inexpensive lathes, like making a monolithic concrete stand. Has anyone actually seen a copy? I wonder if it really did exist.

The War Production Board published thousands of bulletins back in WWII. I have several myself saved from a dumpster dive. I don't recall having that particular one, though.

Someone DID make a functional concrete lathe. Can't recall who. I think this was done during WWI. Operating parts were cast iron,of course. Not a very attractive lathe for sure!

I saw pictures of one somewhere.

search for Lucien Yeoman and also J. V. Romig
Yeomans concrete machines were put into production during WW1 and were so quick to build they were considered disposable.
JV Romig made concrete mills and lathes for popular mechanics and popular science in the 20's

On one of the forums someone posted the War Production Board instructions on how to make a concrete base for bench top lathes. I downloaded a copy but that hard-drive died. I don't remember where I saw it. The OP followed the directions and posted photos of him making his base.

I meant just a lathe stand made of concrete, to stabilize an existing lathe.

Check out YouTube videos on making concrete counter tops for a start, that and a good metal frame should get you going. You could easily add a coolant trough and drain for a sump if needed. I'd set threaded inserts or plates in the concrete at your machines bolt pattern.

Back