1930-40's south bend trying to find source of squeak

Here's that doc that is on Yahoo's South Bend Lathe site. Again, I'm not sure if this applies to your model/size of lathe.... maybe those on this list that know your model can chime in on this.

Good luck,
Ted

Attachments

• -How_to_Replace_Spindle_Fiber_Discs_With_Thrust_Bearings (1).pdf
    365.2 KB · Views: 9
Here's that doc that is on Yahoo's South Bend Lathe site. Again, I'm not sure if this applies to your model/size of lathe.... maybe those on this list that know your model can chime in on this.

Good luck,
Ted

Yeah I checked it and there was certainly nothing between the collar and collar of the split brass bushing.
I ordered a bearing to take care of it

Wondering, if you don't know what lathe you have how did you order the correct bearing for it ?

By measuring where the bearing goes and then ordering that bearing?

My sb 9 had a similar sqeek that drove me nuts! Turned to be in the cone pulley screw was too tight! After cleaning, I filled this area with teflon grease and lightly tightening screw, my problem solved!
On a different machine it squeaked and spindle split bearings would get hot and stop turning! They would lose all oil, I put o/w/5 synthetic oil in bearings and haven't had it stop anymore! Put teflon grease in cone head also. As for sqeek it was the zipper clip on belt every time it went around, learned to live it . This machine sit along time without use and spins easily still with syn oil. My 2 cents.

Back