18X54 Tray top?

jpooch00

Registered
Registered
I stumbled onto a later-model Cinci 18X54 tray top lathe with a LOT of extra stuff, incl. taper attachment and Aloris tool post, holders, tools, 3 & 4 jaw chucks etc. all in excellent (actually pampered, no rust or damage anywhere) condition. It's only a 25 min. drive from my shop, too.

Owner's at $4000 firm including the inverter for single phase ops, which I need. I'm going to see it, and most likely buy it, tomorrow - Sunday.

He also has a nice Bridgeport step-head mill in equally excellent condition - not even one nick on the table - with lots of accessories, DRO, power feed on all axis (don't know what the plural for "axis" is) & tooling plus an extra head (don't know what type) & inverter for $4000. Maybe a little pricey, but no shipping fees or tax makes it look pretty affordable to me.

Might just buy both and be done with it.

Any opinions and/or advice on what to be on the lookout for? All will be very much appreciated! I'm clueless when it comes to evaluating machines like those.

Best wishes and happy weekend! :)

JP

Do you have much experience with evaluating used machines? If not, bring along someone who does. The mill especially is priced pretty high. In truly like new condition it would be worth it. Beware, pretty and shiny does not necessarily mean great operating condition... (axes...)

Have the seller run each machine through all of their functions meaning each speed on the lathe as well as every power feed function.

Take along some scrap to play with and have the seller work it.

Face it off then turn to some size then thread it.

All of this using power feeds.

Spin it to max rpm ant let run for 5 minutes as well as lowest.

The internal friction of oil in gears takes a considerable amount of power and it may be issue...Ours trips the heaters with high speed and low temps...but we have a SPC on a 7.5 hp motor.

No radio or other distractions allowed as you listen for any odd noises.

Also note that the finished product determines the skill of the seller which usually is not important other than to relate to how the machines have been operated.

The prices are steep on both and the larger lathes although sold for more when new are worth less when old as commercial uses for them are less thanks to CNC and hobby folks usually do not have room or power.

Do try for both but consider moving them will be a chore and consider the lathe a guess of 6000 to 7000 pounds so it will be more than a buddy in a pickup truck or tow truck to move.

Consider 1000 maybe to move them minimum when considering the deal.

Do remove as many things as you can when you buy meaning any tooling or chucks you take so the only thing to move later are the actual machines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Do you have much experience with evaluating used machines? If not, bring along someone who does. The mill especially is priced pretty high. In truly like new condition it would be worth it. Beware, pretty and shiny does not necessarily mean great operating condition... (axes...)

No experience evaluating machinery, I'm a noob. I am an aircraft mechanic and inspector, but I doubt if that'll do much good. I've got a friend that's been working in a machine shop for 3 years, so I guess he'll be better than nothin' (I hope).

Thanks for the help,

JP

Have the seller run each machine through all of their functions meaning each speed on the lathe as well as every power feed function.

Take along some scrap to play with and have the seller work it.

Face it off then turn to some size then thread it.

All of this using power feeds.

Spin it to max rpm ant let run for 5 minutes as well as lowest.

The internal friction of oil in gears takes a considerable amount of power and it may be issue...Ours trips the heaters with high speed and low temps...but we have a SPC on a 7.5 hp motor.

No radio or other distractions allowed as you listen for any odd noises.

Also note that the finished product determines the skill of the seller which usually is not important other than to relate to how the machines have been operated.

The prices are steep on both and the larger lathes although sold for more when new are worth less when old as commercial uses for them are less thanks to CNC and hobby folks usually do not have room or power.

Do try for both but consider moving them will be a chore and consider the lathe a guess of 6000 to 7000 pounds so it will be more than a buddy in a pickup truck or tow truck to move.

Consider 1000 maybe to move them minimum when considering the deal.

Do remove as many things as you can when you buy meaning any tooling or chucks you take so the only thing to move later are the actual machines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

OK. I'll do all of that! Thank you very much for the suggestions and wisdom.

I'll have a guy with me that has 3 years shop experience, so that'll be better than nothing, I hope. ;)

Thanks for taking the time to send me the info.

Best wishes,

JP

Update:

Well, I ended up passing on both machines. The mill was a tad rough looking (especially for the price) and the power feed on the quill was iffy. The lathe looked and sounded pretty much OK to me, but when it came time to decide, I just didn't trust my judgement enough to fork over the dough.

I'll just wait till I can afford exactly what I want in new machinery - like I planned to do to begin with. :)

If it wasn't for the suggestions and opinions expressed by you guys, I might have made a HUGE mistake. I did some research and found that new replacement parts for the lathe can apparently still be had, but they're astronomically pricey and, as others said, the mill was overpriced from the get-go.

Thanks, y'all! :)

JP

4K is a pretty good price on that Tray top if its in good shape. Lot of machine for a beginner though, not that its not been done. If its in good shape, it is quite a bargain compared to what 4K gets you in a Chinese machine. Replacement parts are best found from donor machines not new. On a well taken care of machine there are few parts that actually wear out from light hobby use. You can find parts of ebay or machinists forums.

4K is a pretty good price on that Tray top if its in good shape. Lot of machine for a beginner though, not that its not been done. If its in good shape, it is quite a bargain compared to what 4K gets you in a Chinese machine. Replacement parts are best found from donor machines not new. On a well taken care of machine there are few parts that actually wear out from light hobby use. You can find parts of ebay or machinists forums.

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't consider a Chinese machine, regardless of the price, though. If I eventually get anything, it'll be one of PM's Taiwanese-built machines.

The only reason I thought about getting that tray-top was because it's local and I could look at it. I agree that it's way more machine than I need, now or ever, and that's another reason I decided against buying it. A 13x40 would be much more fit-able in my shop, so that's what I'll aim for when/if ever I can afford it.

Back