16R or 4R graduations for a combination square set?

Thanks Will, yes 4R is substantially cheaper isn't it? Not sure why there is such a difference though.

What hook scale do you use?

Np. Yeah it seems like anything other than 4R is more expensive, not sure why. Maybe it has something to do with manufacturings costs?

The hook rules I have are made by PEC. Starrett makes 'em too but for some reason I've always like using the PEC ones. I have 'em in both 4R & 16R. To be honest 16R in general is not all that useful to me. I mean I do use it often for quick measurments but normally not anything smaller than a tenth of an inch. Anything smaller than 10thou is too hard to see & I won't rely on it for accuracy. For that type of accuracy & for layout I'll use a height gage.

That reminds me I've been meaning to get me a 12" hook scale. I think I'll do that now.

Check this baby out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CS-12-Combi...517506?hash=item3d46f5c742:g:wuEAAOSw791Zq0dt

Fair warning: if you buy and own this tool, you will fondle it and speak lovingly to it. Best not to do this in front of others ... they just won't understand.

Anything made by Bridge City Tools is top quality! I'm lucky to own just one of their tools, one of their discontinued protractors. I personally wouldn't even buy something like that, cause I'd be too afraid to use it!

I am a woodworker - so I have done a lot of fractions. I am now messing with machining and doing decimals and fractions. So I am conflicted!

As long as you memorize the decimal value for the major fractions (if you haven't already) you'll be fine. Works for me anyway to live with out 16R.

Dammit, spent more money again. All your fault Alan! Just purchased the 12" 16R hook scale. Well it's been on my list but hey I have to blame somebody! :)

Okay, what did you buy and where?

Anything made by Bridge City Tools is top quality! I'm lucky to own just one of their tools, one of their discontinued protractors. I personally wouldn't even buy something like that, cause I'd be too afraid to use it!
Yeap, like a little mahogany boat I once owned, I was afraid I'd scratch it!

Okay, what did you buy and where?

Another PEC hook scale but in 12". Purchased from Taylor Tool Works but through ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/131389381269

I forget but I believe I bought my other two 6" PEC hook scales from them too. They now sell igaging & their own branded hook scales as well.

PEC tools is one of those companies that are often overlooked. Not as good as Starrett but they make good products with great prices. Most of their stuff is made in USA but not all. I use their edge finders also

Have to be careful when buying anything PEC that is rule/scale related. There are sellers who sell them that are factory seconds like HJE, I think Taylor Tools does too. The factory seconds will have the PEC name scratched off the product. They still work fine & doesn't bother some people, it bothers me though.

PEC also makes affordable decent quality square sets if you want to save money. I wanted a Starret set when I was looking to buy. Too expensive for me at the time. I managed to score a 12" Mitutoyo set with the square, proctractor, & center heads brand new for like $40- $50. I was disappointed that the damn thing was made in Mexico. Had no idea Mexico even made measuring or machining related tools let alone being Mitu. It's pretty damn accurate though & for the price I can't complain. Now I don't really care cause like Mike, I found that I really don't use it very often. Personally a PEC set or good used set would be good enough for me.

Thanks Will, I have had a hankering for some hook scales too. Your savvy here is very helpful.

I have seen some PEC stuff at HJE and they mentioned it was blemished. I even pondered calling them to discuss it but dropped it in favor something a bit more certain. I am a bit picky.

Thanks Will, I have had a hankering for some hook scales too. Your savvy here is very helpful.

I have seen some PEC stuff at HJE and they mentioned it was blemished. I even pondered calling them to discuss it but dropped it in favor something a bit more certain. I am a bit picky.

Always happy to help people spend their money! :)

Same here, I'm picky. Yeah the blems are the same thing as the factory seconds. Not sure if HJE advertises that the PEC name is scratched off though. I'm aware of the type of inventory they get & they are great people but it seems like most of their stuff is factory seconds. I bought a center punch & a ratchet rebuild kit from them once. Nothing wrong with the rebuild kit but the center punch looked like it was dropped. I rather not take the risk from them anymore.

I have several PEC tools, including a 12" blem combination square blade only from HJE, and a 4" double square also from HJE, and they are excellent quality, at much better prices than Starrett. A lot of stuff from B & S and other good old companies (including Starrett) are now imports, mere shadows of their former products. All the PEC stuff I have is US made.

Back