1640hd Has Arrived

Honestly, the machine always ran smooth (probably the weight), but the upgraded system including motor really opened up many options/features and control taking full advantage a VFD has to offer. Are you familiar with mksj proximity stop? This combined with motor braking makes blind boring/threading or any other critical operation semi-automatic with the machine stopping itself within .00009 or less requiring the operator to reset for next pass without disengaging the 1/2 nut (threading example). The motor braking is also impressive as is the speed control. The machine runs like a entirely different machine. Many folks use VFD's to just power up 3 phase machines and never experience the whole "enchilada".
I don't recall reading how your supplying your machine, is it RPC or ?. what ever your using your machine likes it based on the finish of those 2" test cuts. I can also see a 5C scroll chuck in your future, easy to spend other peoples money haha.
Really happy for you brother, probably the last lathe you'll buy for home use.

Honestly, the machine always ran smooth (probably the weight), but the upgraded system including motor really opened up many options/features and control taking full advantage a VFD has to offer. Are you familiar with mksj proximity stop? This combined with motor braking makes blind boring/threading or any other critical operation semi-automatic with the machine stopping itself within .00009 or less requiring the operator to reset for next pass without disengaging the 1/2 nut (threading example). The motor braking is also impressive as is the speed control. The machine runs like a entirely different machine. Many folks use VFD's to just power up 3 phase machines and never experience the whole "enchilada".
I don't recall reading how your supplying your machine, is it RPC or ?. what ever your using your machine likes it based on the finish of those 2" test cuts. I can also see a 5C scroll chuck in your future, easy to spend other peoples money haha.
Really happy for you brother, probably the last lathe you'll buy for home use.
I have came across it on some other threads. Seems like a sweet setup. When, not if but when I get a vfd (1200$ for a 7.5hp vfd) I will have a proximity stop.
I have 230v 3 phase at the shop, no rpc or anything along those lines. Funny you should mention the collet chuck, ive been looking at them like a hawk the past day or so.:D

A three thousand pound lathe AND three phase in the shop? What kind of 'hobby' machinist are you anyway? :cautious: :big grin:

Well some people just have bigger hobbies:D
But shooting a lot got me into machining/gunsmithing. When I had my first rifle built I realized that there had to be a cheaper way. So I started looking for a lathe. But knowing that I needed something with the capacity for bigger work. So I landed here, machining at this point is still a hobby we don't use it for shop work every day. The normal day to day is working on stuff along the lines of this.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Been idle for awhile we have been wide open around the shop and I haven't had a chance to upload some pictures of work. Did some big cylinder work today and got to use the steady rest for the first time. Just barely squeezed it into the lathe. Length of the shaft was right at 39" with a od of 5". This was off of a forklift with a 4 stage cylinder. A set screw had came out over time and got chewed up inside as you can see the lip was chewed up pretty good.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back