16" to move, repaint or not

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Time is here to go and bring my lathes home, they are sitting in a garage shop a few miles away. I will have to disassemble the lathe to move it. I had already planned on disassembly enough to replace the felt oil wicks on the spindle. Looks like I will take it to the major components listed here: http://bluechipmachineshop.com/bc_b...Disassemble-a-South-Bend-Lathe-for-Moving.pdf

I am looking for opinions and advice though on whether I should go ahead and repaint while I have it apart. Most of what you see that looks like rust is actually oil and dust.

After taking it apart to move, how much more work is there to get it to where I can paint it? Is it worth it?

20160703_1440131-jpg.186579

Painting is the easy part , spray or brush. The time consuming part is the paint striping & prep work .
Is that a 16

Yes, paint it. This also the time to check out any cracks, dings, marks, bearings, etc. and get them fixed.

Nice lathe , if I had to move it in sections I'd clean and paint it. YUPP they look new then and even smell new too. Ok go for passion pink or slime green lol.
Machine gray just fits LATHES and mills .

If you have to take it apart to move it you might as well clean and paint.

I have a SB13, and purchased the book and felt it. I plan to take mine apart and do the same. But I started using it and it's my only working lathe. Since using it, I began making a list of details that need attention. I also have a SB9" lathe and I think I am going to start on it first. That way I have at least one lathe working to use to help work on the other.

I would get a drop deck trailer from Sunbelt rentals, make up some skates and roll that puppy out the door and onto the trailer. Take it home, clean it, plug it in and start cutting something. That way you can find out what quirks it has.

toolman_ar

If you have to take it apart to move it you might as well clean and paint.

I would get a drop deck trailer from Sunbelt rentals, make up some skates and roll that puppy out the door and onto the trailer. Take it home, clean it, plug it in and start cutting something. That way you can find out what quirks it has.

toolman_ar

it's been sitting for a few years. I'm a little worried about the oil on the spindle, that's why I was planning to replace the wicks anyway. Luckily, theres also a 12" Logan to take home as well.

I need to get some good photos, I have a pretty awesome tool gloat post to make.

Man if that 16 was mine I'd do a full restore on it. Pretty cool lathe!

Investigator,
Sounds like you hit the lathe jack pot!

I was worried about my spindle bearings. I removed the oil get ( spelling?) on one side. Cleaned the resivor and added oil. Plugged it in and then ran it for short periods of time checking the caps for heat. Mine stay cool. But need to be adjusted for proper tolerance. That is number one on my list to fix.

I am having so much fun learning new things, I don't want to stop. But I also don't want to run it too long and brake something important.

toolman_ar

Back