16" headstock

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I picked up a 16 last weekend and I've been cleaning and lubing it. I was focusing on the headstock tonight. As I was cleaning the pulleys I noticed that the oil screw says grease. I've had other south bends and I don't remember seeing anything other than oil. I've always used vactra on the pulleys. Are they looking for 90 wt?20170117_191108.jpg 20170117_191041.jpg

Nope, it uses grease. A guy on ebay sells a teflon based grease for them, I run it in my heavy 10.

Really....you mean like pumped from a tube grease?

That makes sense. My logan always has oil leaking out of the pulleys. The grease will keep the pulleys cleaner. Thanks

NIGL 1 grease. Good quality. The guy who sells for SB lathes on the internet has Teflon based grease at an exorbitant price. I am sure it is good, but you could buy a pail of appropriate grease for what he charges for a small squeeze bottle -- IMO...

Teflon probably had not been invented when that lathe was new...

Last edited:
Yeah.....I have a tube of grease that will do the job. I thought it was expensive at about 10 bucks. Now if I can get the slotted fasteners that hold the apron to come loose I'll be in good shape. I ordered a drag link socket that I hope will fit the slots tight. It's strange that they never give the thickness of the blade in the description of the tool.

Wanted to check the viscosity rating of NLGI 1 grease, I got a laugh on how they describe the consistency. I commonly used NLGI 2 on mechanical joints, packing bearing races and on open gears. Works well and is very sticky/tacky, but you would want something thinner for these type of machine bearing surfaces as others have noted. Any good NLGI 1 grease should work well, I like the moly based but they can be messy in this application. A synthetic grease is less likely to separate out with heat/friction and stiffen when cold, so would be preferable.

Although my dad many years ago invented many lubricating products that incorporated PTFE, many of which I used, I find a good synthetic grease works equally well.

Untitled.jpg

That's funny....but it puts it in terms I can understand. I have a tube of apple sauce. Might be a little thinner than others use but a whole lot thicker than vactra.

Wanted to check the viscosity rating of NLGI 1 grease, I got a laugh on how they describe the consistency. I commonly used NLGI 2 on mechanical joints, packing bearing races and on open gears. Works well and is very sticky/tacky, but you would want something thinner for these type of machine bearing surfaces as others have noted. Any good NLGI 1 grease should work well, I like the moly based but they can be messy in this application. A synthetic grease is less likely to separate out with heat/friction and stiffen when cold, so would be preferable.

Although my dad many years ago invented many lubricating products that incorporated PTFE, many of which I used, I find a good synthetic grease works equally well.

View attachment 189586
mksj, do you have a link for that chart? I would like to save it.

Back