$1500 Bridgeport For My First Mill?

A Bridgeport is a great choice for a first machine. They are well known and supported.

Better to start with something large and rigid to do some serious work compared to a small mill that isn't stout enough, might be discouraging to a new user to learn on.

So I emailed the seller in Carlyle and he said

"Delivery would be a couple hundred dollars.

The machine needs to be cleaned up and adjusted but then would be great. For 1600 I will not lift a finger. I will however wire it up so you can test it. If you would like it to be cleaned up and adjusted I will do 2500. Cleaned serviced and certified 3500."

It sounds like it has the potential to be a serviceable machine and not worn out. I will need to disassemble it and clean it myself. I'm guessing after I reassemble it it will need completely adjusted anyway. I don't know what certified means except maybe writing down all the measurements of tramming and backlash, IDK?

The delivery option sounds fair too. I'd have to jump through hoops to make it happen on my end since I don't own a truck.

Thoughts,
Andy

Could be a nice machine but I would try to go look at it with someone who knows what to look for and not take the sellers word.
Yeah, I'm not sure what the seller means by "certified", for what, by who? I know measuring/test instruments can be certified but I have never heard of a mill being certified. Sounds like he's just blowing smoke...

Last edited:
[QUOTE="cleaned up and adjusted I will do 2500. Cleaned serviced and certified 3500."[/QUOTE]:rolleyes:
Have fun with your "certified" mill.

About 20 yrs ago I bought a Bridgeport with a veri drive head a vise and a Mitutoyo Digital Read out for 3500. Had power feed on X axis. They are extremely versatile machines, they still have their short comings. Still all and all the biggest limitation has been my own lack of creativity. Tooling is very common and can be purchased as you need it for reasonable prices. My Bridgeport with tooling and still in very nice condition would fetch about 5500 in my area. All that said, worn lead screws, which affects accuracy can be dealt with with a Digital Read Out and good machining techniques, like using conventional milling, not climb cutting. If you want to climb cut, you can lightly clamp down on the motion of the table with the table lock....but this discussion is probably a little premature.

How do you propose to get it into the basement?

I also would encourage you to talk to dealers that are close to you. You will learn a lot. Usually they have a shop where they repair machines and they can tell you what to look for in terms of wear, and general condition. There are some nice threads and photos on Practical Machinist website about Bridgeports and clones and inspecting for wear and condition.

Tim

I just had another thought. My first mill was a worn out Taylor Fenn. Paid 1000 for it learned a lot and made a fair amount of $ with it. It allowed me to up grade later to the Bridgeport. Depending on what your making and if your doing cash paying jobs, even a worn out machine, especially when you learn it's quirks, can still make a lot of good parts and still make you $. The learning curve can be really frustrating and compounded by a machine it poor condition. Good luck with your endeavor.

Tim

How do you propose to get it into the basement?

I also would encourage you to talk to dealers that are close to you. You will learn a lot. Usually they have a shop where they repair machines and they can tell you what to look for in terms of wear, and general condition. There are some nice threads and photos on Practical Machinist website about Bridgeports and clones and inspecting for wear and condition.

Tim

I only have one way in and it's through the back door of the house straight down a flight of stairs. I don't have an anchor point in the back yard so rigging will be challenging. I was thinking about reverse braking it into the basement using stilts pushing on the basement wall and using Hi-Lift jacks to lower it down a bit, hold it, reset the jacks lower down, lower it a bit, hold it, reset the jacks lower down and repeat. A chain or cable won't work because I have no where to anchor to it except my deck and railing and that won't hold. It will be tricky and may prove impossible. If my Dad was still around He could figure it out but I may find local rigger to assess the situation. $100 in some long lumber and 1 or 2 Hi-Lift jacks may slide the pieces down the stairs nicely. The base will need to lay down on it's back or side so tipping it over will be challenging too.

Thanks

Can you remove the stairs and set the pieces straight down with some type of block and tackle? And then once in the basement you'll need an engine hoist or something similar to reassemble the machine. Maybe you could use a really heavy vehicle to be your deadman in the back yard? maybe a reach forklift? It will be interesting to see the photos of access and of course the actual action. I've seen those rigger guys do some pretty amazing stuff. As far as milling machines go BP are pretty light. You might check out http://www.demersbros.com/main/dbt-page.asp?P=1. as a curiosity. And you might get some ideas from looking at other riggers web sites.

Tim

Well been following this and I see no pics of the delivery or the mill.What the heck,we need pics,well not knowing the first thing about mills other than what I see on CL's I think that 1500 is a good price if all is in pretty good shape.At 1500 anything else you spend on it will be worth it,that mill will last a life time.Myself,what I invest in a machine and I get several yrs out of it then sell it and if I break even then that is a profit.Enjoyment is worth the money,if you should ever get to a point of making alittle money then your in the green.LOL post some pics----kroll

Back