$1500 Bridgeport For My First Mill?

Andrewlcox

Registered
Registered
All,

I want to get into hobby machining in my basement. My wife thinks I'm crazy for picking this as a hobby but I had to give up kart racing because of our 2 kids. I sold my racing kart and now want to invest in mill.

I found a Bridgeport w/ J head about 100 miles away. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/5294796923.html
They say it runs good and they want $1500. I have more money to spend but I'd like to spend it on tooling and accessories instead of buying a more expensive machine.

I also found this one for double the money and almost 3 times the distance. http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/5260811696.html

What are your thoughts on starting on the low end and buying a less expensive Bridgeport? I really want a Bridgeport because of all the support (online and videos), tooling and capabilities.

It will fit in my basement but it will need to come down the stairs in pieces. I figure that is a good time to clean and repair anything that needs fixed. I'd love to restore it someday if it's a solid machine (good ways) but learning the workings of the machine and skills come first.

Thanks,
Andy in Decatur, IL

Since you do not know much about milling machines, the first thing to do is find someone willing to go with you to look at machines. A nice 2300# milling machine looks about the same as 2300# of scrap iron masquerading as a milling machine to a novice. I would volunteer to help, but am a bit too far away. Perhaps someone else on H-M lives closer and is willing to help you out. Unless you really know what you are doing, do not even think about buying something that cannot be powered up, put through ALL its paces, and cut some metal.

Thanks for the advice. The place selling it sells many Bridgeports and could run it through it's paces for me. I do have a contact at the local machine shop that could go with me and offer his professional opinion (I'd pay him for his time).

I agree, I don't want to buy a hunk of junk but I wonder if a working one with all the parts necessary to make chips can be found for $1500. Like I said before, I have more money to spend so upgrading to a better machine is possible but is it necessary for a beginner? I don't want to regret my first purchase but that's why I'm not starting with a bench top model either, I don't want to have to upgrade in the future to a bigger and better machine.

Andy

Depending on the market where you are (and I don't know it) that price might include a table feed, too. New it's almost $400.

It looks like the second (Milwaukee) machine is nicer. However $3k is a lot for a Bridgeport unless it is in very good condition and comes with decent amount of tooling, You might be able to make a deal, as are selling the house so they will be desperate to get it out of there before closing. I would call, and feel out the situation ask how much tooling might they be willing to include and when they need it gone by, then make an offer. Machines don't usually sell fast, I've seen mills and lathes sit on CL and eBay for many months being reposted with lower and lower prices till they finally sell, for the most part its a buyers market.

What are you planning on making? Doe you have any other machines? Reason I ask is a lathe is more versatile than a mill for a first machine. Just throwing it out.

As Bob said definitely try to find someone to go with you. The biggest thing I look for is the condition of the ways. Bad ways....................deal killer for sure.

I picked up a step pulley Bridgeport last year for $1300. Had a power feed and the ways were almost perfect. By the time I was done rebuilding and fixing a few things and putting a VFD on it I'm in it about $2500.

There are deals out there, just have to look every day and multiple times per day on CL and be ready to pounce on the deal immediately. I picked up a Kent 4VK with a Servo power feed, Kurt power draw bar, and a non working DRO for $1000. Had a bad motor but I picked up a new electronic head with a Baldor motor for $220 at an auction. By the time I get a new DRO on it Ill be in it for $2300. Then I'm selling my Bridgeport.

If anything take detailed pics and post them of what you find. There are many people here that are more than willing to help you.

I can already tell that folks on here are willing to help that's why I am willing to jump into this hobby and not be too intimidated. I don't know what I want to build yet. It may take many years but I'd like to build a self contained dirt sifter like a trommel screen but powered by a gas engine and on wheels and self propelled. Crazy I know.

I'd like to master the workings of the mill and perfect my set up skills like zeroing and tramming and touching off. I can't explain it but I get a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that this hulk of a machine can get dialed in and be accurate to .01" or better when machining something. The math interests me too.

I don't want to start so high that I'm forced to enjoy the hobby. I did that one time with cycling, I bought an expensive bike and to justify it I had to ride it. It all worked out in the end, I lost weight, became more fit and upgraded bikes but it did sting at first.

Thanks,
Andy

If it's decent I'd jump on it. At the auction in Shelbyville (SE of Nashville) last May where we scored mine,
the step pulley machines were going for over $2200. One very nice one hit $3k.

Some advice I can offer you on buying machinery.

Buy something you can grow into and not out of.

And you can put a small job on a big mill, but not a big one on a small mill.

For what your looking to make a Bridgeport size mill is the smallest I'd consider.

Back