1340GT question

JMBrewer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Dumb new guy question but rather ask it now than risk messing something up. The black knob that on the control panel that switches between the power feed and the leadscrew appears to have a middle detent/place, I'm guessing a "nuetral" where nothing is engaged. Is that where it should be when running the lathe but not intending to thread or use the power feed, like manually feeding? I wasn't sure if you needed to pick one or the other at all times when the machine is running or whether that was indeed a nuetral setting so you wouldn't put extra wear on gears when not actively using them. I may have missed this in the manual but couldn't find where that was addressed.

It helps reduce wear on the feed drive train, so if you don’t thread or use the power feed very often, moving it to the neutral position will reduce wear on the gears and bushings of the feed system. If you left it in the power feed spot even when you don’t need it, as long as you are keeping the gearbox lubricated, it probably won’t be an issue for most people. I have a 1236T, which is a slightly smaller version of that lathe, and keep it always in the power feed spot unless I am threading since I use power feed often enough that it is a PITA to remember to switch it back and forth.

And the only dumb question is the one not asked, so never hesitate to ask a question if you don’t know the answer to it. We were all at that point once, so we do our best to help others on their journey.

Exactly what I was wondering. Just wanted to make sure that was a neutral position and what it was designed for. Thanks!

On lathes with noisy feed gear trains, it is less nerve rattling when just doing polishing jobs at high speeds, to run the feed train in the neutral position, nearly all lathes have that capability.

Back