1340GT Bearing Noise?

parshal

Registered
Registered
I've had the lathe for about two years and never really run the lathe at these higher speeds but had occasion to do it recently on some small work. I don't hear this noise at slower speeds.

It's cold in my garage. Like, below 25. Warming it up ahead of time doesn't seem to make a difference. Today it's 50 and the noise hasn't changed. The noise is the same with or without the chuck.

Normal?

Have you checked for end play and correct preload on the spindle bearings? I'd think about taking an oil sample as well, probably well due for an oil change anyway. Pretty easy job to pop the lid and take a peek inside as well.

I haven't recently checked the preload. I was looking for instructions on adjusting that just yesterday but haven't found any. I'll keep looking.

I changed the oil about 8 months ago so I should be good there.

Chuck up a steel rod about a 1” OD. Put a indicator on the steel bar then take a piece of 2x4 or 1x1 wood and try prying upward on the spindle close to the headstock. See what your measurement is should be in the tenths. There will be a nut on the spindle by the belts. Be careful not to tighten to much. You can actually put a indicator on chuck face and see how much it pulls in with you tightening the nut. All this should be done after warming up the spindle running for awhile. Adjust the nut to get minimal to no movement of the indicators.

I'll definitely check that.

For those that have a 1340, does mine sound much different than yours at the same speed?

OK, I figured it out.

First, I did check the bearing preload. I put a .0005 indicator, held on the headstock casing, on the spindle. I put my MT5 test rod in the spindle and wasn't able to get it to show any movement. Prying away from the headstock about 6" I was able to get to move less than .0005" so I'd say that's good.

Now, the fix. Rather simple, stupid me. Gear noise! Take it out of gear and the noise goes away. I reset the gears and there's no noise all the way to 2000 RPM.

So, the video, for future searches, is what gear noise sounds like. LOL

Back