1236 Questions

Can anyone tell me what amp circuit breaker I need for the lathe? I'm going to run a dedicated line so I want to make sure I use the proper sized wire and breaker.

BTW coolidge, I watched a couple YouTube videos where they used a face mill and what a mess... in all directions. Looks like I need dedicated clothing for the shop as well.

Look at the motor current, then size the breaker for about 1.5 times that that. But not less than 20 amps and #12 wire. If you use a 30 amp breaker then #10 wire.

Sorry, I don't have the lathe yet and the website doesn't show that info for any of his lathes.

Cobra my G4003G has a 2hp motor and is quite happy on a 220vac 20 amp circuit breaker. I think a 30 amp circuit is overkill for a 2hp lathe.

That said you should check the motor specs when it arrives and allow for some buffer as recommended above. If the motor is drawing 19 amps you don't want a 20 amp breaker, 15 to 16 amps would be okay, 17 amps would be pushing it.

Also not all 2hp motors are really 2hp, manufactures have been known to exaggerate the hp rating of their motors, shocker. So a particular motor may be okay on a smaller circuit. For example one manufacture sells a 5hp lathe and a 4hp lathe, yet the 5hp motor is rated as drawling far less amps than the 4hp motor, something smells fishy! lol

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what amp circuit breaker I need for the lathe? I'm going to run a dedicated line so I want to make sure I use the proper sized wire and breaker.

BTW coolidge, I watched a couple YouTube videos where they used a face mill and what a mess... in all directions. Looks like I need dedicated clothing for the shop as well.

A shower curtain makes for a cheap but effective way of containing the chip mess at the sides and back of the mill. Yet it slides out of the way on a curtain rod. As for clothing you may know this already but don't go near either a lathe or mill with long sleeves, gloves, or loose clothing that's a good way to have your fingers ripped off or for your machine to maim or kill you in a seriously painful manner.

Thanks again coolidge for the info... and good advice on the clothing. Matt also sent me an email to let me know to use a 20 amp circuit breaker. I already bought 10/3 wire thinking it would require 30 amp but I never have a problem using larger wire so I'm still good. Will run the wire in the morning... a fairly long run so I'll be at it most of the day.

Thanks again coolidge for the info... and good advice on the clothing. Matt also sent me an email to let me know to use a 20 amp circuit breaker. I already bought 10/3 wire thinking it would require 30 amp but I never have a problem using larger wire so I'm still good. Will run the wire in the morning... a fairly long run so I'll be at it most of the day.
If it's a long run you're better off with #10 anyway.

Cobra if you are using rubber flex cord and plug be advised 10 gauge stranded flex cord wire tends to not fit 20 amp plugs its too large, you can kind of cram it into the plug but its not idea. You may need to go 12 gauge wire or just go a 30 amp circuit, wire, and twist lock plug. If you think you might end up with a 3hp mill then you will be all set with a 30 amp circuit for use with both the lathe and mill.

Allow me to take this opportunity to express hatred of buying electrical components and wiring, its expensive and frequently annoying!! :big grin:

Actually when I purchased the 10/3 wire for the long run, I had also purchased the 10/3 stranded flex cord and the 30 amp plugs and outlets so the entire run will be 30 amp... only with a 20 amp circuit breaker. And you just had to go and mention a 3hp motor didn't you?

I completely agree with buying electrical components. I also bought the same flex cord and plug for my air compressor and was ready to flip when I plugged it in. I need to take a picture for this one so I'll do another post.

Posting a picture of the stranded flex cord and twist lock plug for the air compressor. The compressor is a couple feet to the left of the outlet. I don't care for the way the plug points away from the air compressor so the cord has to double back to the left. The plug is adjustable but in only 1 of 4 positions, in 90 degree increments. Of course I originally installed it so the plug would point towards the air compressor, but what happens is the flex cord pushes against the plug and causes it to unlock so I had change it to the way it is now. When I see stuff like this, I wonder what they were thinking, ha.

IMG_1965 (Large).JPG

Back