1228 QCTP clocked wrong

Aurelius

Registered
Registered
Hi everybody,
Having gotten my new 1228 secured to the stand (thanks again to everyone who help me figure that out), I have been working on getting everything cleaned up and attached to the machine. I took off the four way that was mounted and installed the qctp but I noticed something was off. When I turn the handle to release the holder, the handle is position so that I can’t get a toolholder onto one of dovetails (unfortunately the one I will be using like 95% of the time).
My question is how do I rotate everything so that the handle doesn’t block the use of the tool post? I’m sure this has been answered but I couldn’t for the life of me find it.
Thanks

Have you tried to remove and replace it with the whole assembly rotated 180 degrees?

On an import qc tool holder I bought, I found a set screw on one of the jaws inside the block. I think that I was able to influence the position of the lever by adjusting that screw. But...I had that thing apart and back together a hundred times, and when it finally locked up where I wanted it, I never looked back. So...it's worth looking into anyways. But no guarantees.

Ok, so this one can get chalked up to operator error. Apparently, I had spent tool long huffing wd40 fumes that I was completely backwards as to which way it should be. I took the qctp off the compound to look it over and get an idea of what might be wrong. Then it was a lightbulb moment when I realized I was trying to slide the toolholder on when the wedge was "locked" vs "unlocked". Put it back on the lathe and now everything is right as rain.
Thanks everyone.

You may find this happens again if you remove and re-install. Just flip the T-Nut 180 degrees and the locking position will also change 180 degrees.

Thanks, but the 1228 doesn't have a T-nut, it's just a post that screws into the compound. Thankfully, that means I can't get it reversed if I have to take it off int he future.

Thanks, but the 1228 doesn't have a T-nut, it's just a post that screws into the compound. Thankfully, that means I can't get it reversed if I have to take it off int he future.
Oh! My bad…I guess you are using a plain nut on top instead of a handle to secure the tool post?

Yup, just a nut for now.
I may look into making a handle later but, for what I'm going to be doing for now, it's going to be pretty much fixed so a handle isn't that high a priority.

Use locktite on the stud and set screw. Check the torque on the stud frequently. I used loctite blue on both and it still just ripped all the threads out of the compound after probably 15 hours at the most since I got the lathe in October. PM has none in stock so I guess I will be using a helicoil.
The threads seemed to disintegrate into powder.

Back