1127vf-lb Rpm Led Not Working

lpeedin

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just thought I would throw this out there as I am not the most electronically savvy person. Before anyone says it, I have already been in contact with Matt about this issue. In fact, he has been answering emails within minutes at 9:30 at night the last two nights.

Here is the situation. I was turning a large diameter piece of 1" plate that is going to be a new 3 jaw back plate. Everything was fine and then I heard a mild pop and the machine died. It turns out that it was the first 15 amp fuse located on the back panel that had blown. I can't find my extra fuse that came with the machine so I put in my 10 amp extra fuse that came with my 727 mill just to see if the lathe would run. It does indeed still work.

Now the issue is that the lathe works, but my LED rpm readout is not working. Matt advised me last night to check for voltage coming out of the control board, which I will do tonight when I get home.

Soooo.... here are my two questions. Has this happened to anyone else and if so how did you fix it? And are there any local places to look for the replacement fuses? Of course these are oddball fuses being 15 amp, 250 volt, and 5x20 mm in size. All of the local auto parts stores have 6x30 mm fuses and they are also only 32 volt fuses.

Thanks

Ebay might have some vendors offering those fuses. Just a thought.

Yeah, I checked ebay. I found them in a hundred pack for about $14. I ended up ordering 5 from amazon for $5.

Anybody know anything about LED displays?

A little. I've written code for a couple. What about 'em?

I was just wondering about basic trouble shooting. I have a cheap multi-function meter. Matt asked me to check the voltage coming out of the control board going to the display and I can't tell if I'm checking it right or not. I am not getting anything, but again, I am not sure I am testing it properly either.

There is usually a plus and a minus for power going to the display via the ribbon connector, should be measuring something in the 5-12V DC range when the machine is turned on. Be sure not to short the power connection when testing. You could also pull the connector at the display, put two thin wires in the female connector and check power. Example below, but yours will look different, usually the + and - terminals are marked on the board or the ribbon lead with power may have a red stripe. If you post a picture, may be able to give you further guidance.

I do recall the RPM displays going on a couple of other of these Chinese machines, just can't recall which models.
Digital tach display.jpg

That looks similar enough to give me an idea what to check. The ribbon connector on my machine that is going to the readout has 5 wires / pins. The wiring going out to the pickup sensor is smaller.

Back