10F Teardown Glitches

Gene

Active User
Registered
When I took the headstock apart, everything came off the Spindle ok but the front bearing and dust cover remains stuck on the spindle. Is it ok to press these off? Am I missing something? Also, the apron rack seems to be glued to the bed on the ends. All six screws have been removed but both ends are still attached with glue of some sorts? Is this common practice? It must be epoxy or similar because it will not budge. Any suggestions? I do not want to damage it. Thanks, Gene

The front bearing should have come out when it come apart I hope it did not spin in the bore the casting can break very easy so if you press it out support the casting very well. You can also pull it out using a piece of PVC tubing larger than the race cap one end a piece of wood cut out in a circle the size of your bearing race and a piece of all thread. This setup will pull the bearing out but supports the casting.

The rack is held in place by two pins one at each end if memory serves. Very carefully slide a thin blade inbetween the rack and the bed and wiggle the rack loose once the pins begin to move it should come out pretty easy. Ray

The front bearing is not a real tight fit on the shaft so it probably just needs a little nudge to get it off.. Yes, the rack is held in place by two pins that are a light press fit into the bed... pry gently and treat it with care.. they love to crack across the screw holes.

M

Thanks guys, I had a feeling I was missing something with the rack. I take it will be fine to lightly press the bearing and dust shield off the spindle.

Sorry there Gene I got in a hurry and read that wrong I thought the dust cap and bearing stuck in the housing woops am I bad. Ray

That's ok Iron Man. Maybe it was the way I posted it.

See the attached document for the proper method to R&R the spindle in a Timken bearing headstock.

Attachments

• REMOVING HEADSTOCK SPINDLE WITH TIMKEN BEARINGS.doc
    51.5 KB · Views: 42
  • PROCEDURE FOR REMOVING BACK GEARS AND HEADSTOCK SPINDLE FROM ATLAS 10.doc
    68.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:
PDF's of the Atlas Tech Bulletins on disassembling the headstock of Timken bearing 6", 10"/early 12", and late 12" are in Downloads in the Atlas/Craftsman Lathes folder. Quick way to find them is search "atlas tech bulletin". The inoperative links are still visible but have been disabled. Atlas didn't ever do any on the sleeve or babbit bearing headstocks but the 6" would be partially applicable to the 101.07301 and the 10/early 12 would be applicable to the back gears of the babbit bearing models.

Robert D.

Gene also after reinstalling bearings and running for awhile recheck bearing endplay,I'm sure you know that the screw in the pulley is for oiling shaft not securing pulley, I have a TH54 my brother had it and I finally talked him out of it but it was left in open door shop so it got full of sand so i had to teardown,clean,reassemble ,made for learning what makes it work.Im still learning about this machine and enjoying every minute of it.

Back