10F Compound Gear Adjustment

rfdes

Active User
Registered
I've noticed on my 10Flathe that there is no way to adjust the teeth mesh distance between the headstock spindle gear and the compound gear. Running some experiments by removing various gears and listening for excessive gear noise, I find that the majority of the noise seems to be a result of the spindle/compound gear linkage. I thought that I might make an offset mounting post for the compound gearin order to try and optimize the teeth meshing.

Has anyone tried this and if so what were the conclusion of your results?
Thanks
Jim
Largo, Florida

I've just purchashed a Craftsman/Atlas 10F, and just starting the restoration. I noticed that the box of parts included some shims that i belive are to go between the "miter gear bracket and the apron case, to be used as needed. I hope that helps, Jim.
Oops, I may have misunderstood the question.

songbird,

Jim is referring to the stud gear and stud on the left end of the headstock.

Jim,

That sounds like a good idea. You probably wouldn't need more than 0.010" of eccentricity.

That brings up a question that I've had for a long time. I've never seen a disassembled 10". And the parts list drawing isn't explicit. Is the hole in the headstock for the stud unthreaded?

Robert D.

I've noticed the same thing on my 10F lathe. I have a Pick-o-Matic gearbox, and most of the noise seems to come from the compound gear and the two smaller gears on the tumble reverse lever. The gear clearance between the two small gears seems rather tight to me, but there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the gears for increased clearance. I will have to take a closer look and see if that's really the case or not.

On my lathe, the hole in the headstock that accepts the mounting bolt for the tumble reverse is unthreaded. The bolt passes through the headstock wall and is held secure with a nut from the inside. I would guess that the change gear version is the same, but I'm not positive about that.

Vince

Robert -

The hole for the compound gear stud is a clearance hole only. A thin nut is used on the inside of the headstock, so no adjustment. I plan on making an eccentric stud and will report back with the results.

Thanks
Jim

Robert -

The hole for the compound gear stud is a clearance hole only. A thin nut is used on the inside of the headstock, so no adjustment. I plan on making an eccentric stud and will report back with the results.

Thanks
Jim

Hi Jim, that seems like a good plan, we need to have these old gears long lasting and better meshing would help with that as well as the noise.

Please take pictures as you go and let us see how you do it.

Bernard

Jim/Anthony,

Thanks.

Robert D.

Back