10d Babbit Bearings

From memory, that pin is threaded. Sounds silly, I know. Bit of shim to protect it and a decent pair of pliers, I managed to get mine out in reasonable condition. And it wasn't that great to begin with.

Some thoughts

Keep all abrasives out of the babbitt.It will easily embed and cut the spindle.

Line boring a new set isn't too bad. You actually can use a shell reamer on a straight polished shaft. The inside of the shell has to be honed, and a close fit with the arbor. You do it by hand. The trick is to center the end of the arbor and use the tailstock for that end, and you must rig a proper located and positive support on the gear end of the headstock. The reamer needs to cut .002 under finish, and should not touch the shims.

Tim,

What model lathe do you have? It wouldn't be the first time that discrepancies have surfaced between what Atlas actually shipped or what the Atlas or Sears parts lists said.

Tim,

What model lathe do you have? It wouldn't be the first time that discrepancies have surfaced between what Atlas actually shipped or what the Atlas or Sears parts lists said.
10F, as far as i see.

OK. Most 10's and 10D's that turn up have babbit bearings and most 10F's have Timken bearings. But you could order any of the early 10's with Timkens and the 10F with babbits (up until about 1945).

On an older subject, I have located the part number and description of the pin in the babbit bearing spindle. The part number is 9-116 and the description is "Spindle Thrust Collar Pin". It isn't shown on any of the drawings. I found it on the Craftsman babbit bearing lathe parts lists. It was not on the 10E list or on the special parts list showing the optional 10F babbit headstocks and vertical countershaft

However, like a few other parts, it is not shown on the early spread-out photographs of parts. So I still don't know exactly where it is located. I would guess that there is a partial notch through the thrust bearing, but someone with a disassembled babbit bearing headstock or who just did one will have to confirm or correct that. And also whether or not it is threaded.

Still have the original spindle somewhere, will have a look when i get some time.

Some pics of the pin and spindle. Not 100% sure if pin is original, was difficult to remove and it was a long time ago now. Definately threaded.
Will clean up spindle a bit more and get it under the magnifying glass to confirm that the location hole is threaded as well.

IMG_20170331_195724.jpg

IMG_20170331_194812.jpg

Thanks. Do you recall where it was sitting when exposed? I assume that it keeps the inner race of the thrust bearing from spinning on the spindle without it having to be a press fit.

View attachment 230185 The pin is located immediately to the left of the small journal on the spindle. It locks the plain collar to the spindle.
Plain collar runs directly on the babbitt material.
You will see in second pic, the journal area to the right of the pin hole. Plain collar goes over the pin and the feed drive gear goes over the Woodruff key.
I've marked and labelled this one, difficult to see though.

Edit; Hole is not threaded, possibly tapered. Only guesstimating by feel with a piece of wire, cannot see very well even with two light sources and two magnifying devices.
The pin that i have is probably not original

IMG_20170331_194812#2.jpg

Last edited:
Back