1018 cold rolled lathe chuck key

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Was gonna make up a extra chuck key outta some spare cold rolled was wondering if heating up to red hot then oil quenching would add some durability any thoughts? ??

Was gonna make up a extra chuck key outta some spare cold rolled was wondering if heating up to red hot then oil quenching would add some durability any thoughts? ??
Not enough carbon
You will be better off to go to a steel supplier and order you some 4140 and make you one
You can buy it 29 to 30 RC . It will machine easy enough . And is still hard enough .
Or just go it tractor Supply and buy a Grade 8
Bolt . Machine you one out of that .

Oh good idea I've got some grade eights I can probably use

I have been using some key stock because it has a very good fit and nice square corners. It is standing up well but then I don't torque my chucks or D1-4 cams all that hard. The round corners and loose fit of the OEM chuck key were too sloppy for my liking.

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

I have been using some key stock because it has a very good fit and nice square corners. It is standing up well but then I don't torque my chucks or D1-4 cams all that hard. The round corners and loose fit of the OEM chuck key were too sloppy for my liking.
Yes yes should not be to hard to make

Last edited:
Yep I have used a 3/8 drive extension to
Works good

I used to do the same on the cam locks for my lathe. But on my lathe the came locks are 10mm square & 3/8" extension is pretty loose. I now use a 10mm drain plug socket. I prefer to use a ratchet & extension over the stock chuck type key.

Back