10 lb Sledge VS 3 lb Sledge

R

Robert LaLonde

Forum Guest
Register Today
In my never ending search for interesting bits of salvage (kind of my hobby now - well one of them) I decided to break up the big pieces of concrete that were used as intertial dampers in that washing machine I tore apart a couple weekends ago. I'm no stranger to using a 10lb sledge (although not much in many years) nor a 3lb sledge. My hammer of choice most days is a 2lb machinists hammer or a plastic dead blow hammer, but I've been known to pick up the 3lb sledge to beat a part into submission.

Anyway, I took a couple blows at the concrete with 10 pounder and it was ok, but I just didn't have the control to deliver power vertically to the pieces while standing. I found that kneeling down on the floor I didn't have the balance and comfort to throw that long handled ten pounder around as easily as when standing. So... I picked up the 3 pounder I keep hanging over the back work bench next to the other hammers and gave it a couple whacks. The concrete broke nicely with little fly away and I quickly exposed the small web of... 1/4" rebar welded to the bolt plates embedded in the concrete. I didn't even know they made rebar that small.

So for those who would seek enlightenment. No. The answer is not always, "get a bigger hammer."
Maybe in the next weekend or two I'll make some mini tongs out of that mini rebar. LOL.

Having the correct bash "n" smash devise with the needed handle length is always great.
We often adjusted handle length for the job at hand.
In the Millwrights we called anything under twelve pounds a beater or less than two pounds hammer.
Sledge hammers were 12 -20 pounds and 20 pounds were the best and most useful.

Don't you think they will make a couple cute little pairs of wall hanger tongs... LOL.

Not really a reply...
but does bring to mind another old saying. " You can hit little with a big hammer, but you can't hit big with a little hammer!"

I've got a 16 lb. and a 20 lb. sledge. Two years ago, I broke up a the concrete aprons in 35 ft. x 90 ft. dairy barn. Swinging those large sledges definitely took the wind out of your sail. Maybe when I was younger I could have kept it up but definitely not now. My go-to is an 8 lb. or 10 lb sledge now. For more finesse, I use a 3 lb. cross pein hammer. It has enough heft to displace some metal.

I've never really used anything heavier. Well in another lifetime I spent a couple years of my youth traveling with the carnival. I think we used 20lb hammers for driving tent stakes, but that was really easy work with 4 guys. One skinny guy holding the stake with three guys standing around the stake dropping hammers on it. You didn't really swing it. You just lifted it up and dropped it.

ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting ting DONE!

You know this discussion of the size of your hammers reminds me of a security and surveillance job I was working on in Mexico a few years back. I told the company I wanted a trench three feet deep clean between buildings for a communications line. (Loaded semis ran over the area everyday) and after half a day watching half dozen of their guys screw around I grabbed a pick out of my truck and jumped in the ditch. The site managers had told me there was no need for me to do any digging. They would get it done. Well I was about half ****** at how long it was taking, and I didn't stop until the ditch was done from end to end as deep as I wanted it. All the young guys had disappeared, but there was one old Mexican standing in the ditch with me grinning when I said it was ok. No way he was going to let some punk gringo out work him in his own country. LOL. My pick probably isn't any heavier than my "big for me" hammer, but if I had to I could put out a lot of work with it. Maybe not as much as I could ten years ago though.

I guess I could have gone home and come back the next day, but I wanted to get the job done. I think it was the biggest single job I did in the 23 years I spent as a communications contractor. I didn't get to pocket and enjoy that paycheck until the job was done. By golly I wanted that communication line buried. LOL

One of my first job in the union was adjusting the clearance in roller bearing on the rolls of a paper machine with a slug wrench and sledge. I impressed them. It's all in the technique . You snap your wrist just before it hits. I swing inside. I shorten the handle so I don't catch a couple of things. You can get a lot more force than someone whaling away with a heavy hammer over their head. I used an 8# engineers sledge. If a guy says use a bigger hammer, he doesn't know how to swing one.

Back