10 Inch Lathes**** Oldies But Goodies*** Need Your Opinions Asap

kennyv

Registered
Registered
Well because of one of the brothers on the forums gave me a heads up i decided to check out a machine Co not to far from My area Appox 1-1/2 Hr drive .. cooks in South Jersey .. Spoke with tom the owner about 1 hr ago .. We originally spoke for 3 min with him hanging up come down... That didnt go to well with Kenny v,.,...... guess he didnt like the chat much only asking bout the machine... .. Something told me call back.... Here is some info other than what listing says Please have a look

Logan 11"x36 called Guy says its a 10x24 $850
came out of basement guy died its apart only to get out of basement and to ship . Says runs good However he dont put machines in gears ... and he,s not a machinist so i can only go so far with details. says ways good and head is tight .As you see dud 3 jaw chuck and w/ no accessories $850

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lathe-Logan-11-x...1794743771

tell me little bout this ?

Next i getting more excited Clausing Model 4901 10"x36"
now that listing does seem to look accurate
Guy says they bought out a compete shop buyout
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lathe-10-x36-Cla...1794743775

Flame hardened ways 5C collet and a maybe a dud chuck/w/ faceplate
says he checks ways and head play
No tooling .....1K takes her home

any comments?

And save best for last Now i dunno why but im gettin a whet spot .. maybe i have a things with Southbends( my first love ) Taught myself the lathe on On lil south bend . Anyways keep me focused Bc for some reason i think this is a god deal correct me if im wrong please.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lathe-10-South-B...1791054912

South Bend 10" Heavy Duty Lathe
I believe its a 10x24 Tom says came from a fortune 500 Co.
We both suspectct Prob late 60's early 70's

Listing says
The famous "Heavy 10"
Model CL 187A
Flame Hardened Ways
Serial #13832 RKX16
3 & 4 Jaw Chucks
2 1/4" x 8 Spindle thread
5C Collet Setup
Aloris Quick-Change tool post
Steady Rest

says he checks ways and head play Says its quiet However i asked and he did not put in gear
he said he has a little room on sale... And would throw in some tool holders and 5C collets
$2600 loaded Comments welcome?????????
does anyone see any reason why i should not go buy this on Saturday? thanks you so Much
Kenny V

If it were me, I would get the clausing, the head stock appears to be stouter, I don't know for fact but it looks that way, plus I do believe the clausing to be heavier in weight so more mass.... no tooling is a downside but you'd save 1500 over the SB, so you could get a decent start with that extra cash, just my 2 cents

I'd start with the clausing, then the Logan if you can use the smaller machine. But it all comes down to condition. You will have to inspect each one, then decide.

The South Bend sounds way over priced. A friend of mine recently sold a Heavy 10 in "like new" condition with a large amount of tooling for $1,500.00. It was for sale for nearly 2 years before he found someone willing to pay the asking price.

I would not buy the monarch, it says in the description its for parts, I bought a machine from McKean and it was a good machine as they said it was, they are saying that monarch is a parts machine :)

I would be most interested in the Clausing, then the Logan. The South Bend seems overpriced to me, but maybe it comes with more stuff? If the Clausing is in good condition, $1000 is a great price. They are great machines. If there are other issues (3 phase motor, not in operation condition, etc) move to the next. There is nothing wrong with a 3 phase motor, but you'll be spending more money to convert it to single phase unless your shop is in an industrial park and has 3 phase service. It depends what you're willing to spend. Good luck!

The Clausing, Logan, and South Bend in your original post all have a quick change gear box. You can get by without one, but you'll forever wish you had one.

GG

Back