10 EE Back Gear Issues

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Today I had my contacter coil fixed and reinstalled it. This is the first time I've had reverse spindle rotation in about two years. But now I have a new problem. My belt/gear drive selector does not want to stay engaged when I cycle in and out of reverse drive. When I was messing around with the contacters a few days ago, the selector slipped out and at that time I thought I must have bumped into it while I was pushing my drive contacters in. In reality it jumped out of position when I went from reverse to forward with the drive. This selector has been "finicky" for as long as I have owned the lathe. It always seemed that I had to work at it to get it back into belt drive after being in gear drive, but once I got it in it stayed. There have been times when it has jumped out a while after changing back to belt drive but the few times that has happened I just thought I didn't get it fully engaged. I have played around with it enough now to know that if I run it in reverse, it will work fine until I stop and try to start the spindle the second time. Then it jumps out. This doesn't seem to happen at all in forward rotation. I don't have the parts and service manual for my machine. I have the two that are online. I've looked at the parts breakdown from the 42 model. (for whatever reason it's copied in mirror image which makes it a little harder to figure out) It's a round dial but appears to have the same set up as mine. I see there are two bearings and a small shaft with levers and shoes and pins. Without tearing into it, I'm thinking my problems probably lie somewhere in this area. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any advise before I start tearing things apart? Here's some pics of the lever that jumps out and the gear box. It's called the "electric drive" in the parts manual. Thanks

Chuck

DSC04792.JPG DSC04793.JPG

... My belt/gear drive selector does not want to stay engaged when I cycle in and out of reverse drive. ... This selector has been "finicky" for as long as I have owned the lathe. It always seemed that I had to work at it to get it back into belt drive after being in gear drive, but once I got it in it stayed. There have been times when it has jumped out a while after changing back to belt drive but the few times that has happened I just thought I didn't get it fully engaged. I have played around with it enough now to know that if I run it in reverse, it will work fine until I stop and try to start the spindle the second time. Then it jumps out. This doesn't seem to happen at all in forward rotation. ...
Hi Chuck,

The teeth on the dog clutch are probably worn down by people shifting the back gear with the motor running. Go ahead and take it apart, it's pretty straight forward. If the teeth are worn down, build them up with weld and machine/grind them back to mate correctly.

Another possibility is that the bronze pads on the shifter fork are worn down. You'll have to have a look to know what's going on.

Cal

Thanks for the reply Cal. I should have time to mess with it tomorrow. I looked at it this morning and thought I would try adjusting the clevis on the rod. It almost seems like it's adjusted too short and isn't pushing the gear all the way in. If that doesn't do anything I'll pull it apart.

Chuck

I took the gearbox apart to see what kind of wear it had. The dogs were rounded off a little, but didn't seem bad enough to mess with at this point. I think my issue was the adjustment on the linkage. I used it some today and didn't have any problems at all. If I have to do something with it in the future at least now I know it won't be a big deal. Thanks

Chuck

Back