• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

10-22 Split receiver

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

682bear

I machined a 10-22 receiver from an aluminum block several years ago... I added a second action screw behind the trigger assembly and threaded the front for a screw in heavy barrel. I then installed a 1 inch diameter Anschutz barrel, and put it in a target style stock. It shoots good, and is very accurate.

-Bear

JerryK

I machined a 10-22 receiver from an aluminum block several years ago... I added a second action screw behind the trigger assembly and threaded the front for a screw in heavy barrel. I then installed a 1 inch diameter Anschutz barrel, and put it in a target style stock. It shoots good, and is very accurate.

-Bear
No testing yet, but I could use a bull barrel

682bear

I also left the top of the receiver something like 1/4 inch thicker (I can't remember exactly) to make the receiver more rigid. I machined it to look similar to a coffin lid.

The barrel was one of a lot of Anschutz 'test barrels' that Numrich had acquired and were selling for @ $55.00 if I remember correctly.

They were oversize and had features machined in them to mount them in a testing jig of some sort... I cut it off to 20 inches and turned it down to 1 inch, and turned and threaded the tenon to 3/4 inch.

-Bear

derf

They haven't made the 10/22 magnums for about 15 yrs. The thing about the magnums is that the breech block was made from solid tungsten and weighed 15 oz, where the standard 10/22 breech block weighs 5 oz.

magu

Looks good, are you finishing it as a charger? Out of curiosity, why did you build it in 2 halves?

MontanaAardvark

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
That's very cool! I never thought of making a 10/22 receiver split down the middle.

I've been going back and forth on making a 10/22 from scratch just as a "Tack driver". With companies like Tactical Solutions, it's rough to decide if I can make one as good or better. Of course, the answer there might be "make it and see".

Bob

Hozzie

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
No testing yet, but I could use a bull barrel
I would recommend you look for a smaller diameter barrel. Less weight to support and they are easier to tune. Something in the .800 or .850 diameter.

JerryK

Looks good, are you finishing it as a charger? Out of curiosity, why did you build it in 2 halves?
The barrel can changed, to abide different state laws.
I made the split receiver just to do something different
Take care
Jerry

Last edited:

JerryK

That's very cool! I never thought of making a 10/22 receiver split down the middle.

I've been going back and forth on making a 10/22 from scratch just as a "Tack driver". With companies like Tactical Solutions, it's rough to decide if I can make one as good or better. Of course, the answer there might be "make it and see".

Bob
This was a prototype. I just wanted to make sure of the fit
and all dimensions correct on the inside.
Once that was accomplished , the outside can have many variations.
It’s only a hobby
Jerry

5 7