1 Phase To Vfd To 3 Phase...neutral/ground Wire Confusion

I agree.

I should have noted in my post above that while the Neutral and the Ground are bonded together at come point (exactly where depends on whether you have a 3 or 4 wire system) and the ground would electrically work as a neutral, NEVER use the ground as a current carrying conductor. It is only a safety conductor.
Read it a little closer this time ..then read my add on

No! you cannot use the green ground wire for a neutral! NEVER! They must stay separate through out the entire circuit.

The only place they can be connected together is at the meter box. At that point, they are connected together to both the earth ground wire from the ground rod and the ground from the overhead wire coming from the pole. And if the breaker box is metallically attached to the meter box, both the grounds and neutrals of all incoming circuits can share the same bonding strip in the breaker box. If the breaker box is a branch circuit from the main breaker box, it must have a separate bonding strip installed for all ground wires to be attached. All neutrals must be installed to the other bonding strip WITHOUT the bonding screw installed to ground.

I have been shocked from neutrals that were not installed properly and were bonded to the ground before! Play it safe, and do it correct. Hire an electrician! And shame on the electrician if he doesn't do it correctly!
Your right you CAN get zapped by the white wire especially when it is used in a switching circuit. But you have a 50 50 chance of getting zapped by any wire if the switch is in the wrong position, AND you forgot to turn off your circuit breaker .

Back