1 micron scale for lathe cross slide

Ken226

Registered
Registered
I've been using a run of the mill 5 micron scale on my lathe's cross slide. It's plenty accurate enough, but the .0004 increments on the DRO are a little annoying.

I came across a 1 micron Sino slimline scale on ebay, just the right length for a drop-in replacement, for a hundred bucks. So I ordered it.

So, according to USPS tracking, its working its way up to Bellingham, from CA.

Except, on the very last leg of the trip, that 1 and a half hour stretch from Federal Way to Bellingham:

So, it's scanned in Federal Way, WA at 830pm and then 4-1/2 hours later at 2am, it lands in Albuquerque!

That's 1600 miles in 4 and a half hours. That's not including the time it took to travel from wherever it was scanned in Federal Way to SeaTac. That's 355 mph!

So, they put it on a jet, to fly it 1600 miles in the opposite direction! I can only assume, hopefully, at some point, it makes the 1600 mile return trip back to Federal Way.

Last edited:
It happened to me like that before. The tracking show it comes close to my house, regional center I think. Then went to the air port and somewhere, but it did come back.

Well, it's working its way back north now.

But apparently NOT via Tony Stark's Leerjet, which they used to get it to Albuquerque.

Now it's getting scans from various cities along the path between Albuquerque and Seattle. A day or so between scans.

Yup, USPS is definitely going to need to raise prices! How else can they afford to fly people's stuff to random places around the country, then truck it back slowly over the course of a couple weeks. That takes gas money!

Back