1 7/8 x 8 spindle threads

CARLOS VENSON

Registered
Registered
My lathe is a SB heavy 10. It should have a 1 1/2 x 8 or 2 1/4 x 8 threaded spindle. My unit has a 1 7/8 x 8 spindle ? Therefore, I am having a hard time finding
6 or 8 inch chucks ! I do have both a 3 and 4 jaw 1 1/2 x 8 chucks I could use with an adapter, but that might lead to a run out problem. Anyone know where I
might find the properly threaded chucks ?

Thanks for your time, Carlos

Carlos, You have a Hvy 10 R (regular spindle), these were widely supplied to school shops in my area. Plates and chucks are available, you just have to be patient looking for them- the 2-1/4x8 spindle L model was more common. The 1-1/2x8 spindle was used on the 9N based 10K lathe. Keep an eye out for 1-7/8 back plates, I prefer the SB factory ones and then machine to fit the chuck you want. The only downside to the R model is the spindle opening that will not allow for the common 5C collets. The 4C and 4NS collets are harder to find and pricey. I fitted a Hardinge speed-chuck to mine that takes 5C. Hope you enjoy your lathe, mine replaced a 10" Atlas and will do anything I need to do.--David

Thanks to TOOLMASTER & STONEHANDS for your speedy replies to my question. It's such a
nice feeling to touch bases with others of similar interest. I believe that it is important to
share knowledge and repay for the kindness shown me through the years. I hope that I am
able to pass on any knowledge I've gained in my 78 years.

Thanks again, Carlos

Back