1-3° with carbide inserts ???

JT.

Active User
Registered
running a calculator it gives me the preferred method is 1-3°
if I understand it right I place the compound at 1° (nearly strait in)
and do all the feeding with the compound (nearly the same as feeding in the cross slide)
I prefere(lazy me ) the radial methode and do all the feeding with the cross slide( I got only 2 DRO's )
I wonder if there is mutch of a diff in finish

calculator.jpg

calculator.jpg

If I understand, you getting the 1-3 degree from the angle of the thread - 30 degrees, see the icon.

Its says set the compound slightly steeper than 30 (1-3 degree).FWIW, I've always used 29 (1 degree)

Karl

The included angle on the thread is 60 degrees. You start with half of that (30 Degrees) and add 1-3 degrees to it. As said the preferred method icon says it all. The preferred angle is 29.5 degrees on the top slide. With that said, I cut threads from any angle the top slide is set at. That includes 0 degrees. I have no problems with cutting threads.

"Billy G"

If I understand, you getting the 1-3 degree from the angle of the thread - 30 degrees, see the icon.

Its says set the compound slightly steeper than 30 (1-3 degree).FWIW, I've always used 29 (1 degree)

Karl

I normaly do that also but I was thinking heuuu adding 1-3° to the 30° strange but I need to think the other way around

Back