1/2" shank Milling bits

Thanks for all the help. I did finally get the taper out. Loosened the bolt and soaked with some WD 40 and hit it a bit harder than I would have liked, and it popped loose. Now on to finding some B&S # 7 Tapers. I did find one on Ebay this morning. Thanks for all the help and suggestions from everyone.
Richie

Does anyone make different size milling bits with 1/2" shank? looking for 1/8"and 3/16" Im stuck with 1/2" collett in my mill.
A end mill that small will have a 3/8 shank
Or 3/16 shank

Thanks for all the replies. I got the taper out. It looks to be a B&S # 7 as stated above. Soaked some WD 40 over night and hit the loosened bolt a little harder than I would have liked to, but its probably been stuck in there for many years. Im now on the hunt for some different tapers, found one this morning on Ebay! Thanks again from a beginner!
Richie
I have a brass hammer I hit the draw bar with
But sometimes it just will not release that taper
And I have to hit the draw bar with a steel ball pin
hammer not the ball end I use the other end of the hammer . And the taper will release

consider using a drill chuck with a 1/2" straight shank to hold your smaller drills and end mills. You can get 1/2" straight shank arbors in a variety of Jacobs taper sizes to fit your choice of drill chuck.
I have done what RJ suggested and it worked better than I expected, it may have something to do with the chuck that I used , I know all the reasons why using a chuck to hold end mills is not recommended but sometimes we need to work with what we have , for me it is an option, I would use it and see if it works with that machine.
I also wonder if router bit bushings would work:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=30126&cat=1,46168,46180,30126

16j9701s1.jpg

B&S collets have a shallow taper and will easily stick in the spindle. Some people oil them before installing them so they will not have so much trouble getting them out again. In any event, they do not need to be tightened super tight to stick in the taper.

Back