1/2" Lathe tooling ?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Guys,

What would be a quality, but somewhat reasonably priced 1/2" lathe tool bit set indexable carbide?

Has anyone tried this site: http://www.latheinserts.com/ ?

Thanks, as always, for your advice!

Nelson

There a lot of the import holder sets in both 3/8 and 1/2 sizes. Most come with low grade inserts. Someone said if you like carbide you will love ceramic. I bought some of both from Carbide Depot and they really are a pleasure to use. They are much better than the inserts that they came with.

This is the ceramic in the 3/8 Holder.
IMG_0144Small.jpg

I do more small finish work than heavy roughing. The ceramic is good with higher speeds.

Ceramics are great for high speed machining and finish work, but poor for rough machining, or if you can't get quite a bit of speed. Odd may this sound, a light machine will often perform better taking many light cuts rather than a few semi rough, heavier cuts.

Am I the only one that doesn't like triangle inserts? When I used them at my workplace, it seemed like finish, repeatability, tool life, and life of tool holder was less than satisfactory. Any time I could use an 80 degree diamond insert, I did, and was much more satisfied. So when I retired and set up home shop I stayed with diamond shaped inserts. I bought the Glanze set from Grizzly and buy inserts from whatever site happens to be working well when I'm ready for them. May have been more expensive than triangles, but they work for me.

I'm also learning to grind hss and using tangential tool where I can. I like it.

Other opinions?

Bill

I have a box full of triangle insert tooling gathering dust. I use almost exclusively 80 deg diamond inserts. The only triangular inserts I use are threading inserts.

Re: 1/2

Paddy OFernichur link=topic=1431.msg8319#msg8319 date=1301598004 said:
Tony Wells link=topic=1431.msg8295#msg8295 date=1301585410 said:
I have a box full of triangle insert tooling gathering dust. I use almost exclusively 80 deg diamond inserts. The only triangular inserts I use are threading inserts.

I was the same way until recently. I have quite an array of the triangular lay-down threading inserts, anvils and holders that get their share of use.

Recently I snagged a brandy-new Valenite VNCD-7462 solid carbide boring bar which takes TPG/TPGN 22x size inserts. It cost me just $55 for a bar that once sold for well over $200, a deal I couldn't pass up. Inserts are cheap and plentiful, so I found some Mitsubishi TPMR 221 inserts that have a molded-in chipbreaker form. The one major issue I have with using flat-topped TPG inserts in lathe work is that of having to rely upon the ill-conceived concept of using mechanical chipbreakers for chip control. The TPMR's help solve that problem. I've also picked up a pack of (free) TPG322 inserts which are of a whisker-reinforced ceramic grade for high-temp alloys and other very difficult-to-machine materials, so I bought a 1" shank turning holder should I ever need to use the inserts.

I do use triangle threading inserts, both one edge and laydown. One or two are vee bottom dogbone style. For turning and boring, it's always a diamond. Mostly 80 Deg for roughing, some 55 deg for finishing, and even some 35 deg.

I may reevaluate the triangle tooling, but knudsen may get a package from me at some point. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both 3/8 and 5/8" tooling.

I got a set of 3/8 (5/16) when I had the Logan 9x28 and when I sold the Logan, that set went with it, but picked up a replacement set right away. This set uses 55 deg, 80 deg and Trigon inserts. I find that I use the 55 deg for much of the finishing. The Trigon gets used a lot for roughing. The Threading and Parting insert are a pain in the butt! The 80 deg also match my boring bar set. The inserts are 7 deg positive rake.

http://www.tools4cheap.net/proddetail.php?prod=carb7pc
http://www.kmstools.com/magnum-7pc-cutter-set-2970

I found that due to the size of compound and the width of the saddle on the 14x40 there were times when I had to have more overhang than I was comfortable with the 3/8 holders so I got a set of 5/8 holders

http://www.kmstools.com/magnum-9-piece-cutter-set-10810

This set is negative rake and uses Square and Trigon Inserts. I use the Trigon most of the time. Again not really happy with the parting or the threading holders. But like i said, I can reach out with a lot of overhang with these and not be bending the holders.

Walter

Back