1-2-3 Block Recommendations?

Does drilling them out relieve stress before grinding, or something?

From the website "The blocks have 23 holes through them. Five are threaded 3/8-16 NC, and the other through holes are 5/16" diameter." What is the point of that? It just makes them as useful as a solid block!
edit Although I guess they are lighter........

Cheers Phil
I have not come up with a reason for 3/8 threaded holes with 5/16" through holes or a reasonable excuse for making them that way. Seems that all the Asian blocks are that way. I did watch that Bailey video last year hoping to find out why, but no such luck. I use them as spacers, cheaper than solid blocks.

Roy

not sure why they have 5/16 thru holes instead of 3/8. probably because they can use the same drill for both thru and threaded holes. But the threaded holes are handy at times to bolt an angle block from behind with a 3/8 screw so no screw head is in the way. The thru holes can be used to bolt it to a plate when the screw head would not be in the way.

On my shop made 123s I've found that my counter bored through holes handy to bolt the block to the table.
Because I have tapped right angle blocks I've scraped in I haven't bolted the 123s together.
However, I've found the tapped holes in the 123s handy for bolting small parts to the blocks.
Seems like I've been doing more mill work that doesn't hold in a vise.
The 123 also work well on my RT as well as the mill table.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
Suburban Tool has a value line of import blocks and other tools. Must be well made if ST are putting their name on them? The ST value line 123 blocks do not bolt together though. $25.00

The USA ST 123 block set is $111.00 plus shipping. These are nice. Moore Tool 123 blocks are awesome also. Where do they sell new Moore Tools 1 2 3 blocks?

Last edited:
Interesting short video from Suburban Tool. ..

Daryl
MN
I like the Moore set a lot. No protruding bolt heads. Sometimes a small bolted up angle plate is just what is needed.

Last edited:
I'm sure the ones where the bolts don't go through are made on CNC mill and all holes drilled with a 5/16 drill. Some holes are then tapped 3/8-16.
Some programmer in China who had no as to what these were for should have used 3rd tool for the clearance holes.

I'm no expert but my gut tells me someone from Knockoff 123 BlockCo figured it was less expensive to drill all pilot hole size & tap every odd one. A) without fully understanding how they were intended to be used or B) maybe just pulling the winky-winky on people (like me!) who didn't know better. I fully admit buying these & figuring I must not be using them properly. The Suburban video was valuable in highlighting this point - completely useless if the intent is to stack & bolt them together. Yes they knockoffs, yes are still useful, yes they are accurate & reasonably priced. Its just that they don't perform this function which in hindsight for me would be very desirable. Why they continue to be sold in this configuration many years later would be a great thesis topic. Maybe the herd mentality (speaking as one from the herd): low cost & misinformed criteria. Until either/or dissipates, why change the drill bit :)

I did notice offshore blocks that DO have clearance + tap hole combinations like the classic bolt-together blocks. For the most part they are sold in 'matched' sets of 2. Not sure why exactly. Makes me suspicious. Even on those you have to read the fine print in terms of the hole patterns & some do a lousy job elaborating & properly detailing. Either the middlemen distributers themselves don't understand what they are flogging, or its broken English trick to make you just throw the dice & buy them thinking 'logically they would work this way'.

Yes, they cost more than import blocks, but these are so well made and bolt together perfectly.
Suburban Tool Precision USA 1 2 3 blocks. They use 5/16-18 SCHS, 1" long.12354_HDR.jpg 1233255.jpg 12300213.jpg

Back