1-2-3 Block Recommendations?

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been using some unhardened 123 blocks I made from cold rolled on my mill.
They've worked well enough for most set ups. However, I been wishing for something far more accurate for inspection.

Yes, fabbing some from this chunk of 1" O1 tool steel is option, but in the absence of a grinder I don't think I will be pleased with my results.

I'm good with used precision shop made and import. Ebay can be problematic for precision instruments/tooling.
Does anyone have recommendations for a reliable source for precision 123 blocks?
Or, have someone have extra good used ones they want to sell?
Note: I don't have a jig bore? Thus, I don't need silly accurate/precise.

Daryl
MN

Try to find a set that the bolts will fit through the unthreaded holes. There are a lot of sets out there on ebay and through some importers that the bolts don't fit. I have a set that I got from enco and not being able to use the included bolts they have very limited uses.
If you can talk with the seller to make sure that they do otherwise you are wasting your money.

you will find sets with through holes, some through and some tapped, as well as solid ones. I like the ones with both threaded and through holes. These can be bolted to angle blocks or flat plates for various setups. Most all of them are accurate as for size.

here is a set with both through and tapped holes.
http://usaknifemaker.com/123-block-set.html

Last edited:
I have collected several 1,2,3 block sets through the years. And can probably count on one hand the times I have used just one set. And I’m sure it was not for the reference of any of its size measurements. Can’t explain why someone needs them and why I do not? I am in my toy house just about every day too. However on a similar note. I do have and use daily, parallels of various sizes. I have many sets of them and use them. I have working sets that I don’t mind seeing a scratch or two on them. And then I have like new sets that I baby. I even have the spring wavy ones that come in handy…Dave

The cheap ones are plenty accurate. They are $12.00 a set from CDOC. They won't bolt together but I've never needed that as I have angle plates.
I'd be happy with 123's with no holes but they are more money, seems backwards.
I'm usually using them as spacers on the surface grinder, and I keep one with the lathe and use it to square the tool post off the lathe spindle, and even off the chuck face at times...they are way more accurate than needed for that.

Try to find a set that the bolts will fit through the unthreaded holes. There are a lot of sets out there on ebay and through some importers that the bolts don't fit. I have a set that I got from enco and not being able to use the included bolts they have very limited uses.
If you can talk with the seller to make sure that they do otherwise you are wasting your money.

tomh,
Thank you for the reminder! This is exactly what I was hoping for was some input before I drop some $ on stuff I cannot use.
Daryl
MN

Back