1:14 Scale IH 350 Payhauler Dump Truck - Radio Control

Ron, no I don't have CAD or any detailed drawings. I have the IH Shop and Operators manuals, plus some Sales literature. Using the overall dimensional data, I made full-size images that were used for construction. I did have a day with a real one to gather measurements for miscellaneous items and detailed pictures, and also pictures from the Internet. Much was self-contained info: I work for a heavy equipment distributor that sold these and was a technical trainer on them for many years. Plenty of field experience.

Some parts were modified in size (ex: the frame) based on readily avaialable material. Original was an I-beam. Could not find one that was close enough and I did not have the confidence or experience to try milling them. So channel was used - overall dimensions are just about right. Of course the web thickness is off but that allowed tapping holes for mounting. The 1:1 was all welded.

I've chosen to walk a line between a scale and a close-to-scale model, knowing that this will be a working truck, actually hauling and dumping dirt, and reliability is high on my want-list. Some components are not actual scale reproductions, again, based on available components. An example is the hydraulic hoses. Available is 4 mm diameter; really should be about 3 mm. The difference of 1 mm does not sound like much, but it is 25% too large. The springs are another item. I used .028" spring steel that scales up to less than a half inch. To be scale it should be 1-1/2" thick. While the spring stacks contain the correct number of leaves, the spacer between the main and helpers at the rear is about 10 times what it should be to make the spacing work. Driveshafts are way too large diameter because I wanted to use u-joints from RC trucks. I can put a list of major parts used together but will wait until it is closer to finished.

All that said, I'm happy with the way it is turning out. Most of the exterior is very close to scale and I think the overall stance and appearance is a good representation of the real truck.

Ken

Sparky,

what happens to this project? Any progress, did you get the truck going?

i am working on a conversion of a NyLint motor crane/dragline and need to start on the undercarriage of the truck.

what and where did you get/use for the differentials/axels?

From the previous pictures I hope you got this thing finished, looks great so far!

Jim

THAT IS FREAKIN AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

How did you build the cab and what is it made of?

well that brings back some memories , a lime stone quarry i worked in during the mid to late 90's still had a couple of those rough riding , hard to steer , scare you to death going down a slippery hill haul trucks .
the truck drivers all breathed a huge sigh of relief when they finally switched to 85 ton 777 cat trucks .

kudo's on the great work .. i have doubts there are many of those trucks left in any kind of working condition

A bit of updating and question-answering. 1. The cab is made of .080" styrene and tanks are PVC tubes with styrene ends. 2. Axles are RC Channel items modified to make them look square, move spring location, and remove some assembly hardware.

Truck is driveable and dump body underframe is complete with pivots. But had a problem with the dump body and had to learn about aluminum metallurgy to correct. I started using 6061 aluminum, bent the body, soldered with 300-deg Muggy Weld and all was good - on the front part. When soldering the rear section of the bed, where there are sharp corners and 3 angles coming together, the material cracked along the bends and even at 90-deg to the solder lines - never cracked in the solder joint. Talked with a couple of friends and did some research. Seems 6061, while strong, does not like sharp bends and is not considered "formable" for tight radii. Stress cracks made it a mess when it cooled. Sssoooooo, changed to 5052-H32. Properties include excellent forming ability. I have been several months without getting to work on it, but bending the new bed is next in line. Then to finish the dump frame and side pieces and on to the multi-stage hydraulic cylinders, which will be a challange.

Hope to get back on the project this winter.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Ken

So Cool ! I did not get to read through the complete thread yet I just had to comment first.

I build and race large scale gas boats.

Back