0.280 Taps

arlo

Active User
Registered
In a box of stuff I got at an auction, there are two 3 flute taps. They are marked
Winter .280 36 NS R24

The major diameter is 0.280" and they look like they are 36 TPI (my thread gauge only goes up to 28).

I looked at MSC and Enco and couldn't find 0.280 taps. What are they used for?

They are also used in electrical for threads on small pots and switches, think the 36 TPI is an older standard, today I think the standard is 32 TPI. I just tapped a hole today that was 9/32 (.281) - 32, needed it for a limit switch for my mill. Enco had that tap in stock.

There are a lot of "odd" thread sizes in guns too. 7/23 x 40 and 9/32 x 40 are common peep sight sizes. The grip bushings on a 1911 are small very fine threads and not a common fraction size. Something like .234 x 60tpi if I remember correctly, I'm still waiting for the full effect of this mornings coffee. I repair a lot of old guns and some funny old threads pop up from time to time. Sharps rifles use 10-28. Not the standard 10-24 or 10-32. Split the difference at 28. When did the modern standards come into common use? After 1850's I'm guessing.
Many supply sources for the odd taps and dies if you look under "Special Taps & Dies" or some variation of that in the catalogs. I've build a fair selection of them but by no means have I got them all. I even have a #7 machine screw tap and die I found at an estate sale. It just looked odd and like attracts like, not so with magnets. Machine screws go from #0 to #14. And a plethora of pitches......it's fun to design things that use the odd sizes and let someone figure out what you used, 'cause it sure ain't standard!

Possibly a bit off-topic, but might be useful for one of you some day ...

The spindle thread on a Dremel tool is 9/32-40.

I had to modify some cutters for a Rose Engine a couple of years ago.

I sure appreciate the information. Some interesting applications.

When I did my searches, I looked for 0.280" and not 9/32" (0.281"). I think that's why I didn't find anything at Enco.

Back