New restoration project! 12" Craftsman lathe.

THE BIG SWITCH HAS BEGUN! MOVING THE CRAFTY 6" OUT AND MOVING THE CRAFTY 12" IN!

So far the "switch-a-roo" has gone quite well. Couple of hiccups here and there with one unresolved so far. There are two bolts or cap screws that hold the lead screw mount to the front left side of the lathe bed. I can't figure out what the thread size is. It's not a 1/4x20x2" and it's not a 3/16x24x2" and I don't have a tap that will follow into the two holes. They are not even shown in the schematic. I'm suspecting 3/16" by something! Can someone please clue me in as to the proper thread size? PLEASE AND THANK YOU! I can't install the apron and lead screw until I get those two screws as mentioned. Here's a few pics to show progress along the way! The Crafty 6" is temporarily stored under the gazebo tent.

Attachments

• 20240513_085107.jpg
    20240513_085107.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240513_092145.jpg
    20240513_092145.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240513_121400.jpg
    20240513_121400.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240513_121453.jpg
    20240513_121453.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Things I still need to buy: Two Quick Link belts, 6" 3-jaw scroll chuck, QCTP and another screw or nut here and there. I checked bed level with an electronic level and the head stock end is 15 degrees higher than the tailstock end. Shim time I guess.

It's all back together! "Except" motor installation and finding the Quick Link belts. Anyone know what length and width I need to order? Can anyone say the correct width of "maybe" 1/2" belts? Change gears are adjusted with brown paper bag strips adjustment between gears. Before turning it on I'll do one last lube job on everything.

20240513_192220.jpg

Don't you mean 1.5 degrees instead of 15 degrees? 15 degrees would be uncomfortable to stand on.

Don't you mean 1.5 degrees instead of 15 degrees? 15 degrees would be uncomfortable to stand on.
I'll have to go back and double check that! Didn't notice if a period was in the display. Do you have any idea what width and length adjustable belts I need to order?

Just ordered belts and will be here Friday

Went to a yard sale and found this old 12" Craftsman lathe. It was cheap enough but has a couple of stipped gears. The bull gear and the smaller back gear of which I've listed on the "Wanted to Buy" forum. I guess the ways are about 54" and came with only the 4-jaw independent adjust chuck. Came with a box of stuff and don't really know what in there but not too much lathe related I'm guessing. Going to Tennessee in about a week so won't be doing much until I get back. This will be my 5th lathe restoration. Three South Bends, Shop Task 3-in-1 and two Craftsman 6" lathes.
Still need to do a little clean up on the lead screw which has ZERO wear on it.

20240513_192220.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I don't know the exact length of the Spindle belt on the 3/8" bed 12" Craftsman lathe. My advice would be to cut one of the used ones that you have, lay it out flat and measure the length.

Nice looking drip pan that you have. If there isn't a drain hole in the right-rear corner, I would definitely add one before you go much farther.

Put a straight brass hose-barbed fitting in the right rear corner and put an at least 1/2" or larger drain hose on it that you can drop into a drain bucket on the floor. Cut a hole in the top support board slightly larger than the the hex on the hose barb so that corner of the drip pan won't be slightly higher than the rest of the pan. Do all of this before you proceed with the leveling.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestion about a drain. I don't have a use for a constant flow cooling system. My lathe is just a occasional play toy for me to ruin perfectly good metal! I think I like restoring lathes more than actually making usefull projects. LoL. I rechecked my electronic level, as you suggested, and you were correct as it is 1.5 degrees off level.

Now the good news! I cobbled the adjustable belts off the Crafty 6" and put them on the 12" lathe. I guess the headstock belts are 3/8" when using Quick Link belts. I ordered 1/2" belts and they will sit too high in the sheaves will have to exchange them. It runs really sweet and really quiet in neutral selection. Has the usual noisy change gears and I'll probably change the bushings with plastic or similar. Everything is working fine including the auto cross feed. I'm a little concerned with 1/2 hp motor getting a little warm. My first project will be to make a headstock gadget to hold the darn cover up.

I've got a QCTP and 1-1/2 x 8 tpi chuck 4" back plate on order. All that came with the lathe was an 8" 4-jaw independent chuck. "IT'S A MONSTER!" When my bank account heals a little I order a 6" chuck. LoL

Last edited:
Hmm. Unusual for a 4-jaw chuck to be heavier than even the same diameter 3-jaw. My light-duty 10" 4-jaw is lighter than my standard medium duty reversible jaw 6" 3-jaw and about the same weight as the light-duty 6" 3-jaw. I would buy a light-duty 10" 4-jaw first instead of the smaller one that you mentioned. It will probably be the only 4-jaw that you'll ever need. I wouldn't waste time and money on plastic change-gear bushings. I do have two types of oilers but don't always use either one. But the drain hose keeps the chip pan dryer and easier to clean.

Hmm. Unusual for a 4-jaw chuck to be heavier than even the same diameter 3-jaw. My light-duty 10" 4-jaw is lighter than my standard medium duty reversible jaw 6" 3-jaw and about the same weight as the light-duty 6" 3-jaw. I would buy a light-duty 10" 4-jaw first instead of the smaller one that you mentioned. It will probably be the only 4-jaw that you'll ever need. I wouldn't waste time and money on plastic change-gear bushings. I do have two types of oilers but don't always use either one. But the drain hose keeps the chip pan dryer and easier to clean.
Maybe I'm just old, feeble and weak! It squished my little pinky!

Back